Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Recent restaurant visits

Toshi's in Vancouver
I've been here six times, and five out of six times I lined up over 30 minutes (the one time I didn't line up was on a Tuesday or Thursday night during a Canucks game). All I know is, never again will I step foot in this place. First off, if I get really crappy service, I will complain to the manager. Unfortunately, complaining at most Asian restaurants for lousy service will pretty much get you nowhere, and most likely nothing will really get resolved unless they feel like their restaurant may possibly be fined or shut down for uncleanliness. But bad service? Pshaw! And for a place like Toshi's I didn't even bother. Some of the waitresses there have really let the lineups get to their head, as if people are lining up to be served by them. People are lining up because that's pretty much the only restaurant in the area serving "authentic" Japanese food with "nonauthentic" Japanese restaurant prices. This is one of those restaurants where it's, sit down, order, eat your food and leave, don't linger around when there's like 16 pairs of eyes willing you to hurry up. But of course this restaurant boasts some really obnoxious customers, like these three ladies I've seen there three of the six times I've been there. Each time that I saw them, they were already seated, and pretty much finished eating, but half an hour later while I'm still waiting, they're still sitting there, and when I finally get to sit down, after I pay the bill and leave, they are still there (two of the three times anyways). Why don't they just go around the corner to Bellagio's and have some ice cream or go to Denny's and spend all night there??

My chief complaints and observations during my six visits
-2 of the six times, the bill was incorrect, once over billed, once under billed
-1 of the six times, I received the incorrect amount of change. so basically half the time they screw up the bill
-the table next to me complained they never got something that was charged on their bill, and the waitress argued with them about it.
-the young waitress with bob length hair has a really irritating tone of voice
-they will keep calling names all night, even if after calling it three or four times the party is not there. If not being there after being called twice, they should lose their spot.
-if you are a table of 3-4, you will never get a table, they will keep putting couples and singles ahead of you, but if they went in the correct order, you would have sat down long ago, eg, tables A, B, and C. Each table seats two. Table A opens up, so they seat one couple. Then table B opens up, so they seat another couple. Meanwhile the party of four that has been waiting way before the other two couples could have sat down. And it's not like when Table A left, Table B was still eating, table B is also waiting for their bill.

Anyways, I'm not going back there because one of the waitresses is such a friggin bag. If I ever seen her again, I may handle it like an adult and only punch her in the face.

If you decide to check this place out, make sure there is only one or two of you. Otherwise you're in for a long wait.


Nu restaurant
After a recommendation from a friend who went during the first week of opening, I decided to check this place out. I didn't like it. The service was great (at least from our waiter), the dishes ranged from horrible to good. I did like the butternut squash soup and caesar salad a lot, but I wouldn't go back there for it. And I just didn't like the decor. It looks too trendy, and something that will require a serious update in about 15 months. And I don't know what my friend is talking about, and I certainly don't know what En Route magaine is talking about, "#1 best new restaurant in Canada"?? And trendy and cool clientele?? At least not the day I was there. The only thing I liked about the restaurant was the ample and free parking. The night we were there, it appeared there was a restaurant critic there, (not anonymously) and he and his group were getting the royal treatment. Maybe if you say you're a restaurant critic, you get the better food too? When I spend $70 for just the meal portion, I think I deserve to have fare better than Cactus Club.


The Main on Main
I used to come here when it first opened quite a few years ago, and I really liked the ambiance and food and easygoing attitude of the staff. I was recently here, and the service was so bad. And it's not like they are rude, they are just soo friggin slow. After it felt like it was taking forever just to order, I checked my watch. Twenty minutes later (after checking my watch), the waitress finally came around. There were two waitresses that night, and only 6 tables. Both of them were chatting and flirting with some guys that were seated outside.. Meanwhile, the owner was sitting at the bar talking to some guy and wasn't doing anything about it. The food was good, but I won't be returning here again. If I'm in this area, I'd much rather go to Locus or the Reef. I have yet to check out Hawker's, but I think they keep weird hours.

It's a good thing Vancouver has a never ending supply of restaurants. Cause I just added three more restaurants to my list of restaurants not to go to.


Feenie's
I love this place. I've been here five times and each time it's been great. The food and desserts are good, and the prices decent. The drink menu is great, and my drinks have always been made nicely. The service is great, although I have to admit it was a lot better back when the tall bartender still worked there. My only beef is, I don't really like the lighting and setup in the dining area. It feels very cramped. I prefer to come here for appies and drinks in the bar area, better lighting and ambiance. I had a squid ink pasta which isn't part of their regular menu that was simply fab. I've even ordered the Feenie's Weenie once, which I regretted ordering the minute I got it. My friends were picking at their charcuterie plates and seared tuna, while I'm biting into a hot dog with ketchup and mustard is dripping onto my shirt. All whilst wearing my stilettos. Ahhh, glamorous. flossy flossy.

No comments: